Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A post for Sophie and Jake

Dear Sophie and Jake,
Mum told me you visited the museum a little while ago.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Mum also told me that you were interested in seeing where I live.  So I thought I might take some photos and show you where I sleep, and some of the clothes that we wear in Antarctica.
So, this photo shows two little cabins.  My cabin is the green one.  I share my cabin with two men.  Their names are Geoff and Peter.  Geoff is a Plumber and Pete is an Electrician.  My window is the one on the top right.


Inside the cabin it is a little bit squashy too.  I’ve got the top bed, and Geoff sleeps on the bottom.  Pete’s bed is at the other end.  It’s very cold at night, and if we need to go to the toilet we need to walk in the snow.  Can you see the little bottle with the blue lid?  Geoff does his wees in this so he doesn’t have to go out in the cold.


I also thought I’d show you some of the clothes we wear.  I asked Geoff if he could dress up so I could show you.
Our layer number one is our thermals.  I haven’t got a photo of these because Geoff got embarrassed.
Layer number 2 are our work clothes.  These are normally blue.  If we are going to get wet we take these off, because they get very cold and don’t dry very quickly.

Layer number 3 is our polar fleece.  Geoff has his polar fleece jumper on, but not his pants.


Layer number 4 keeps the wind and snow out.  It’s very thin, but makes a big difference.  We also wear gloves, beanie, sunglasses…

 and big warm boots.

When it gets really cold we put on big, thick overalls which are puffy like a sleeping bag.

Now I have a question for you.  There is one thing I’ve forgotten. 
I’ll give you three clues –
1 - You put it on, but it’s not a piece of clothing.
2 – You put it on when you go to the beach.
3 – If someone has it on, you don’t always see it.

You might like to push the down button and see some other photos I've taken.  If you go down far enough you'll see a photo of a seal, and another of a penguin.  There's a photo of a big red bus too.  Have a look at how big the wheels are!

If you would like to see photos of anything else, maybe you could send  a message.

See you soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Dylan, you are going to be a brilliant father one day.

    It took me fully 5 minutes to work out what it was that you put on at the beach that no one can see... haha :)

    Lots of luurve from yo sis way x

    ReplyDelete