Sunday, November 14, 2010

My home at Casey

I thought I'd give you a little insight into what my new home at Casey is really like.  The "Big Red" building houses the living quarters, kitchen and dining, bar and recreation spaces.  All beds are currently filled, so on our arrival, a few more spaces needed to be rustled up.  Along with a few others, I'm in a shipping container not far from the main building.  Jokes aside, it's not a bad spot.  The worst part is the necessity to dress up each time you make a trip, whether it be to the bathroom, the mess or just to check your email.  I have a bottle by my bed which makes the trips a little less regular.



I'll have to practice the stitching of photos, but this gives a little perspective as to where I'm living.  I have my back to the sea.  My guess is it's maybe 400m or so to the water, or the edge of the sea ice.  The little green shed is my container - shared with Geoff and Peter.


Casey's Bar.  A busy place come knock-off. 

My cosy abode.


The "Wallow"... 
Lounge area at Casey.  From the lounge you look out over the bay to the north. 
The ever changing features of the surrounding landscape mean it's never a bore.

 I'm skipping back a little way, to the pressure ridges at Scott base.  The folding of the sea ice is formed seasonally, and is really quite magnificent.  We visited while killing time at McMurdo.


Part of the team amongst the pressure ridges.  We had a guided tour of the ridges and saw some spectacular sights.  It was here that we saw a Weddell Seal and pup (see the last blog for a picture), they use the openings in the ice to gain access from the water.






No comments:

Post a Comment