Thursday, December 30, 2010

Berg crusing, and Christmas feasts...

Well it has been that time of year for us down here too.  Things go mad for a little while (over things unrelated to Christmas), then we try and relax and have a good time, eat heaps, and exercise little.

Resupply went like a dream compared to how it normally pans out - at least that is what I'm told.  It was pretty hyped up and I'd wondered for a while what we were in for.  It's a fairly time consuming process.  Starting with fuel, the line is layed out across the water and to the tank farms on land.  The line pressure tested, checks completed and fuel then starts to flow.  For about twenty hours straight fuel is pumped from the ship, while the fuel watchers swing valves and do their periodic walks up and down the line.  In the harbour there are a number of IRB's (inflatable rubber boat's - basically the same as the one we have at home) nudging small icebergs clear of the line, and ensuring there's no stress put on the pipe.  Fuel is then followed by cargo, some containerised, some on pallets, some odd loads such as a small excavator, machinery parts etc.  I spent the best part of my time driving the Skidder and the Loader.

As there was a bit of a lull in activities, a few of us shot off for a cruise about the bergs... 


 No matter how many penguins I place on my blog, I'm still asked for more.



Simon and Brad, merry... on Christmas day.



We found this interesting looking thing floating on the surface.  I picked it up to try and work out what it was.  Our best guess was that it might be a colony of some type of creature.  The slimy outer encased small white things the size of a mustard seed, presumably eggs.  I couldn't tell what it was by tasting it - only that it had come from the sea.


Stu was a good sport when I wrapped it about his neck.  We smelt it all the way home. 










Christmas Day

We actually celebrated Christmas a few days later than the 25th - as resupply needed to be sorted before other things could begin. The chefs started early with a small gang us plebs helping out, or at least doing our best to help.  I was assigned the job of folding salmon into small rose like bundles then spreading them out on serving trays.  There was certainly no shortage of food.  The happenings started at 11 with brunch, followed by carols and gift giving from 12 till early afternoon.  Dave filled the role of Santa, and we each in turn had the chance to sit on his knew, and receive our gift.  Lunch, or whatever a mid afternoon meal becomes, started at 3 and carried on till late.  Ed's table became the happening place to be, as he sang songs from home in the way beer drinking Irish seem so able.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable party.  I learnt in the morning I'd piked a tad too early.  I'd let it get down to what I thought were the last dwindling few then headed for the blankets, in the morning I had to regret not having been their for the table surfing.  From one end of the room to the other tables were lined up, lubricated, shirts torn off and then run from the end of the mess and jump...  There were bruises to prove it.


I must give credit to Tim B for some photos of the berg photos.  The little point and shoot I have just doesn't cut it from any distance.  The good photos are his.  Thanks Timmy.

1 comment:

  1. That slimy thing is indeed a colony of Fungiforum tricammonius, commonly known as 'bananna slime'. The 'eggs' you saw are actually collections of ammonium acetate which F.tricammonius produces. So I really hope you didn't taste it as the ammonium acetate can cause hepatotoxicity and gradual liver failure - which is accelerated in the presence of alcohol!

    ReplyDelete